Sunday, May 14, 2006

What to do, what to do...

Sparked by the latest GFS run, it got me thinking, what in the world will I do if there is nothing to chase....

Here are some thoughts.

I will see the family quite a bit, which will be nice.

And then hang with some old pals, incorporating some road trips in there as well, here is what I had in mind on places to go.

1. San Antonio/Austin area - Riverwalk, Alamo, UT area in Austin, food, markets, etc.

2. Dallas / FW area - Have a bunch of buddies in this area, good places to eat, and maybe take in a Rangers game.

3. Galveston/NASA - always a fun day, go see NASA first thing in the morning, then just spend the rest of the day in Galveston, walking the beach, eating some food, and generally catching some sun.

4. Houston area - Friends and alot to do around the houston area...

5. Baton Rouge/New Orleans - I havent seen the area since the destruction, I wouldnt mind getting to New Orleans early, and eating at Cafe Du'mond, then seeing the French Quarter, and Bourbon, and maybe driving around some of the affected areas. The head back through Baton Rouge on the way home and see the old school, and maybe eating a one of my fav. resturants in the ara, (Superior Grill, Canes, Ingas, etc.)

6. Amarillo - A long drive, but if there really isnt going to be anything to chase, what the hell. Could take in a hike at Palo Duro Canyon and maybe camp there, as well as a meal the Big Texan Steakhouse.

7. Oklahoma City - try to meet up with the MSU storm chase group and see some old friends, or maybe meet them a little further down the road at Elk City (always a fun night at the Holidome there) - OKC woudl be nice for some food, and seeing the southern Plains for my buddy.

8. New Mexico - (Carslbad Caverns, White Sands, etc.) if we are feeling a little more adventurous, this is a cool drive, with lots of places to camp and hang out, we will see.

9. Florida/Bama coast - white sands, sun, drinks, and general fun (if there is anything left of all that?)

Let me know your thoughts, if you have any...

2 comments:

WTOK Weather Staff said...

Hey man, that sounds awesome...

I like the idea of a swing through Amarillo and New Mexico...I would add a jog north into the Rocky Mtns of Colorado to that swing...That could be a blast....Maybe watch a game at Coors Field?

I'd also like to eat some steak in Kansas City if we make it up that far..

If there's absolutely nothing going on, I wouldn't mind having all of us meet up at your house...Then head to Galveston for a day, DFW for a day, Amarilllo/NM, Colorado, then swing east,hit up a steakhouse in KC, and John/Caleb/me could go back to Memphis and yall's group could go back towards Casa de la Bell.

Anonymous said...

Last time I was in NO...it was a mess. Mind you...that was 7 days after the Big K. The quarter has come back reasonably well from what I heard.

BR also has a 2nd Chimes location called Chimes East. It's not too far from the small red-head's house. Give the old crew a call and go! Chelsea's also moved I think to Perkins Road.

Floribama was from what I last heard being rebuilt. Ivan pretty much nailed it. We heard that at the LA OEP command center and you could hear sighs all over!

LC was recovering well..and when I drove through SE Texas on the way up here it looked to be coming back quickly too.

Eat Canes.